Important note: If your PC already has HEPCAT installed and an update is released please see Updating to the latest version of HEPCAT.
To perform a brand new installation the HEPCAT Prerequisites and the HEPCAT application please follow these steps:
- Go to the following URL:
Opens in a new window: http://app.heims.education.gov.au/Deployment.HEPCAT/Prerequisites/
The HEPCAT Prerequisites webpage will be displayed.
- Click the "Get HEPCAT Prerequisites" button - the File Download – Security Warning dialogue box will be displayed. Click on Save, choose a location on your C drive and click Save - the file will start to download.
Note: HEPCAT Prerequisites .exe is ~310MB in size
To run the HEPCAT prerequisites as an administrator you will need to ensure that your user account has administrator access.
- After the file is successfully downloaded, right click the .exe file and run as an administrator.
- Click Yes if prompted by "User Access Control"
- Leave the destination folder as the default of "c:\hepcat" and click Install
- After all files have been extracted (this may take a few minutes) the HEPCAT Prerequisites dialogue box is displayed. Do not exit at this point.
- Click on Install Prerequisites - the HEPCAT Prerequisites Setup Wizard will commence.
- Follow the prompts, accepting leaving all values as the default to complete the Installation Wizard.
- The HEPCAT Prerequisites Setup will prompt for the computer to be rebooted. Select Reboot now and click Finish.
Once HEPCAT Prerequisites is installed, the HEPCAT application can be installed.
- Go to the following URL:
Opens in a new window: http://app.heims.education.gov.au/Deployment.HEPCAT/application/
The HEPCAT Application webpage will be displayed
- Click the "Get HEPCAT Application" button - the File Download – Security Warning dialogue box will be displayed. Click on Save, choose a location on your C drive and click Save - the file will start to download.
- After the file is successfully downloaded, right click the HEPCAT v[version number].msi file and select Install start the Install Wizard.
- Leave the installation folder to the default of C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\ and click Next
- Click Next on the Install Wizard and Click Yes if prompted by "User Access Control"
- Once installed, click Close on the Install Wizard
- Update the permissions on the HEPCAT folders as below before launching HEPCAT
Before launching HEPCAT for the first time (only applicable to Windows versions prior to Windows 10)
You also need to update the following folders to allow users to create/modify files in this folder: C:\HEPCAT and; C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\.
To update these folders please do the following:
- Right click folder and select properties
- Select "Security" tab and click the "Edit" button
- Select "Users" from the Group or user names selections and check "Full control" from the Permissions for users selections
- Click "Apply"
- Repeat to other folder
The first time HEPCAT is opened it must be as administrator to allow database updates. To launch HEPCAT as an administrator, locate HEIMS.Windows.HEPCAT.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\, right click the .exe file and run as an administrator. When you open HEPCAT as administrator the User Account Control asks you to allow HEPCAT to modify the hard drive, click Yes. To run HEPCAT as an administrator always please do the following:
- Locate the HEPCAT shortcut on the desktop of from the start menu
- Right click and select "properties"
- Select compatibility tab and click "run this program as an administrator" from the privilege level selections
- Click "Apply"
If you elect to run as administrator always error logs will go to C:\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\ If you run as a user error logs will go to C:\Users\<Your User ID>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\HEPCAT v[version number]\Application\.
The first time you open HEPCAT you may be prompted with an "Unable to connect to the internet" dialog box. If this occurs:
- Click "Proxy Settings".
- Select Auto-detect proxy Settings on the Proxy Settings dialog box and click "Test Settings".
- Click "Ok" on the "HEPCAT Proxy Settings" dialog box and start the HEPCAT Application.
If any problems are encountered please don't hesitate to contact us.