Providers approved under the Opens in a new window: Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (TEQSA Act) are required to report data for all domestic, overseas, onshore and offshore students enrolled in or undertaking a course of study leading to a higher education award of the organisation.
- Students must be reported if they have been enrolled and have been entitled to tuition in the reference year (including students that have ceased enrolment after the census date during the reference year).
- Students that are enrolled at the end of the reference year but commence study in the following year may be reported in the either the current year or following reference year. However, it is important that a single student's unit is not reported twice ("double counted") across years, where the student has only attempted the unit once.
The data reported in the Student submission provides:
- a profile of each student/course/unit of study combination for a reporting year
- the student load (equivalent full time student load or EFTSL) for all units of study undertaken in the reporting year
- the Unit of Study Completions Status (element 355 PIR) for every unit of study undertaken in the reporting year.
If a student is undertaking more than one course in the same reporting year there may be more than one record on the student submission for that student.
Unit of study completions
A student may have undertaken a unit of study more than once in a reporting year. For example, they may repeat a unit which they previously failed. Where repeats occur, completion status may differ between records with the same values for Unit of study code (element 354 PIR). This is acceptable provided they have different values for the Unit of study census date (element 489 PIR).
Update 2021: The Timing details below were as at TEQSA's official request from 2017. In 2021 the Provider Information Request is due to be reported and verified by 30 June. Any advice referencing 31 August has been superseded but is retained for historical purposes.
The Student submission is due by 31 August. Data can be submitted from 1 July ‑ 31 August.
The submission date in the reporting schedule is the final deadline when data should be received by the department. Data can be submitted prior to the due date and early submission is encouraged.
Student data must be submitted after the Course of Study submission.
Submissions are made using the Higher Education Provider Client Assistance Tool (HEPCAT). More information about this process is in the HEPCAT user guide Part 2.
Information about the structure and elements in the Student submission is in the structure guidelines for the relevant reporting year.
Each record in the Student submission must have a unique combination of values for:
- Student identification code (element 313 PIR)
- Course code (element 307 PIR)
- Unit of study code (element 354 PIR)
- Unit of study census date (element 489 PIR)
These elements are the key identifiers for a student record.
Generally revisions to course of study data must be coordinated through the department.
A revision can only be made to course information where a particular code has been reported incorrectly through a genuine administrative error. For example, if an incorrect value was reported for any of the key elements they can be revised to reflect the correct information.
You are required to verify your course completions data once a year. The verification is due by 31 August. Data can be verified once data has been successfully submitted. The due date in the reporting schedule is the final deadline when data should be verified. Data can be verified prior to the due date and early verification is encouraged.
For more information about terms used in these guidelines see the glossary.