The values reported for Element 514 (Actual full-time equivalence - prior year) in each Actual Casual Submission are to relate to the following people:
- Those who were engaged during the calendar year prior to the reference year with a casual work contract and whose current duties at the time they were engaged required them to undertake work in either:
- an academic organisational unit;
- an academic support services organisational unit;
- a student services organisational unit;
- a public services organisational unit or a general institution services organisational unit; or
- an independent operation, but only if it is a controlled entity.
Providers must report all Actual Casual data to the department for the year prior to the reporting year by 30 June.
Timing of these submissions is detailed in the Reporting Schedule for the relevant reporting year.
Submissions are made using the Higher Education Provider Assistant Tool (HEPCAT). Information about reporting is available in the HEPCAT user guides.
CA Submission is included in the Staff Collection.
Information about the structure and the elements included in the CA Submission can be found in the CA structure document for the relevant reporting year.
Each record in the CA Submission must have a unique combination of the following elements:
- Gender code (E315)
- Current duties classification type and level group code (E509)
- Organisational unit code (E510)
- Work sector code (E511)
- Function code (E412)
- Reporting Year and Period Code (E415)
- Variation reason code (E446)
The total number of Actual Casual staff data records in the submission will depend on the extent to which staff resources data (in respect of Element E514) can be reported in aggregated form for types of people who have the same characteristics in terms of their sex, current duties classification type and level group, organisational unit, work sector and function.
Records must be included in the submission in respect of members of staff whose duties relate solely to higher education or to both higher education and VET, with the full-time equivalence expended in relation to work undertaken in both types of work sector.
Records to be excluded
Records are not to be included for:
- members of staff appointed for a limited term with a full-time or fractional full-time work contract
- members of staff whose duties relate solely to VET
- Full-time equivalence expended by a member of staff in any independent operation which is not a controlled entity.
Revisions to Actual Casual Staff data
Detailed information on how to revise previously reported actual casual staff data is available in the Higher Education Revision Guides - Actual Casual (CA).
For more information about terms used in this document please refer to the glossary.