A code, allocated by the department, which uniquely identifies the student within the Higher Education or VET Sector and remains constant from year to year.
|Element name:||Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)|
|Units:||Code (Numeric), left justified, with trailing blanks if needed|
|ZZZZZZZZZZ||No CHESSN required|
|Any data||Code assigned by HEIMS|
A student may make a number of separate course enrolments at a Higher Education/VET Provider (Provider) in the one year or over a number of years, and the CHESSN must be constant across courses and over time.
Where a student returns to a Provider to resume a course or to undertake a new course, the CHESSN must be the same as that used at the time of the student’s first enrolment at a Provider after 31 December 2004.
The CHESSN will only be used to allow eligibility to Commonwealth support to be facilitated and monitored.
Applications and Offers Data Collection only:
HEPs / TACs - data is required in all submissions.
For TACs refer to TAC Data Elements Map for more information.
It is an expectation that all CHESSN will be reported for every applicant. If in exceptional circumstances no CHESSN has been allocated bbbbbbbbbb (space) should be reported.
Please refer to the Glossary for further information about terminology used in this document.
Higher Education Student:
- Commonwealth Assisted Student (DU)
- Commonwealth Scholarship (CS)
- Enrolment Revisions (ER)
- OS HELP (OS) & Revised OS HELP (RO)
- OS-HELP Revision (OR)
- Past Course Completions (PS)
- SA-HELP (SA)
- Student Enrolment (EN)
- Student Load/Liability (LL) & Revised Student Load/Liability (RL)
- Student Revisions (SR)
- Unit of Study Completions (CU)
University Applications and Offers:
- Application Details (AD)
- VET Commonwealth Assisted Students - HELP Due (VDU)
- VET Course Completions (VCC)
- VET Enrolment (VEN)
- VET Enrolment Revisions (VER)
- VET Student Load/Liability (VLL) & Revised VET Student Load/Liability (VRL)
- VET Student Revisions (VSR)
- VET Unit of Study Completions (VCU)
Details of all versions of this data element can be found on its supporting information page.
Return to top