Go to top of page

SA-HELP (SA) scope

Version Details

First Year:2013
Last Year:2013


SA‑HELP scheme provides financial assistance to eligible students who are required to pay a service & amenities (SA) fee at the Higher Education Provider (HEP). The scheme will cover all or part of the SA fee charged by the HEP.

An annual limit of SA fee is set for each year that is common to all HEPs. HEPs are not allowed to charge a student a SA fee that exceeds the annual limit. The annual limit is indexed every year.

The criteria for entitlement to SA‑HELP are set out in the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA). To be entitled to SA‑HELP assistance, a student must:

  • be an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder resident in Australia;
  • be enrolled in a course of study (including bridging study for overseas-trained professionals) with a higher education provider;
  • meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements; and
  • complete and sign an SA‑HELP debt confirmation form.
The SA‑HELP file contains records providing information about students who are in receipt of an SA‑HELP loan.

If there is a record on the SA‑HELP file, there must be a matching record on the Commonwealth Assisted Students file for the same reporting year and reporting period.


The timing for the provision of the SA‑HELP submission is set out in the Reporting Schedule for the relevant reporting year.

Only the portion of the SA‑HELP loan that the student has consumed must be reported in each calendar year.


A SA‑HELP Submission consists of a single SA file.

Information about the structure and the elements that are included in the SA Submission can be found in the structure document for the relevant reporting year. This is available on the HEIMSHELP website.

Each record in the SA‑HELP file must have a unique combination of values for the following elements.

  • Student identification code (313)
  • Course code (307)
  • HELP debt incurral date (527)
  • Variation reason code (446)

All new records should be coded as ‘5’ on element 446

Revisions to SA‑HELP data

Information on how to revise previously reported SA‑HELP data is available in the Higher Education Revision Guides.

For more information about terms used in this document please refer to the Glossary.

Return to top