The Commonwealth Scholarship (CS) Submission includes records for all students who are:
- Continuing with a Commonwealth Scholarship allocated prior to 2010; and
- Commencing/continuing with a Commonwealth Scholarship of the following type allocated from 1 January 2010:
- Indigenous Enabling Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (Indigenous Enabling‑CECS)
- Indigenous Enabling Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (Indigenous Enabling‑CAS)
- Indigenous Access Scholarship (IAS)
- Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (Indigenous‑CECS)
- Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (Indigenous‑CAS)
- Offered a Commonwealth Scholarship
All students must have a record reported to DEEWR for each reporting period from the time the student is reported as commencing a Commonwealth Scholarship, until such time as it is terminated.
Student recipients of CS can be reported in the same data submission regardless of the Commonwealth Scholarship Type Code (E545).
Timing of these submissions is detailed in the Reporting Schedule for the relevant reporting year.
- Students commencing a Commonwealth Scholarship
Providers must report data to DEEWR for students commencing a scholarship by whichever of the following is later:
- Within 15 working days of the census date of the first unit of study of the course in that reporting period; or
- Within 15 working days of the scholarship allocation date.
- Students continuing a Commonwealth Scholarship
Providers must report a record to DEEWR for each scholarship type in each half year:
- For first half year this data must be reported to DEEWR no later than 31 August of the current year
- For second half year this data must be reported to DEEWR no later than 31 March of the following year
- Students offered a Commonwealth Scholarship
Providers must report data to DEEWR for students who have been offered a Commonwealth Scholarship in any or all of the 4 categories listed on Element 545. The categores are:
- 5 - Indigenous Enabling Commonwealth Education (Indigenous Enabling‑CECS)
- 6 - Indigenous Enabling Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (Indigenous Enabling‑CAS)
- A - Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (Indigenous‑CECS)
- B - Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (Indigenous‑CAS)
Data is reported for half year periods:
- For first half year period (1 January to 30 June) this data must be reported before 15 January of the current year
- For second half year period (1 July to 31 December) this data must be reported before 22 June of the current year
Note: Failure to successfully submit records to HEIMS by the due dates identified above may impact monetary allocations paid to Higher Education Providers in relation to the Commonwealth Scholarships Program. Responsibility for reporting correct and accurate data rests fully with the providers as defined under subsection 19‑70 of the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA).
A separate record must be reported for each Student, for each Commonwealth Scholarship Type (E545) for each reporting period.
All reported records must have the required mandatory data as defined in the Commonwealth Scholarships File Structure specification.
Each record in the CS File must have a unique combination of the following elements which uniquely identify a student record:
- Student Identification Code (E313)
- Commonwealth Scholarship Type (E545)
- Reporting Year/Period (E415)
Revisions to Commonwealth Scholarships data
Information on how to revise previously reported Commonwealth Scholarships (CS) data is available in Higher Education Revision Guides.
For more information about terms used in this document please refer to the Glossary.
Return to top