A code which uniquely identifies the student within the Higher Education/VET Provider and remains constant from year to year.
|Element name:||Student identification code|
|Units:||Code (alphanumeric), left justified, with trailing blanks if needed|
|Any data||Code assigned by the Provider|
A student may make a number of separate course enrolments at a provider in the one year or over a number of years. Within the one provider, the identification code for the student must be constant across courses and over time. Where a student returns to a provider to resume a course or to undertake a new course, the identification code must be the same as that used at the time of the student’s first enrolment at the provider.
Where a provider is amalgamated with another provider this may lead to the need for the identification code for some students to be changed. In such circumstances, the department should be consulted so that any arrangements which may be required to ensure continuity of the identification code can be agreed on.
Please refer to the Glossary for further information about terminology used in this document.
Higher Education Student:
- Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)
- Commonwealth Scholarship (CS)
- Commonwealth-Assisted Students (DU)
- Enrolment Revisions (ER)
- OS-Help (OS) and Revised OS-Help (RO)
- OS-HELP Revision (OR)
- Past Course Completions (PS)
- Revisions (SR)
- SA-HELP (SA)
- Student Enrolment (EN)
- Student Load/Liability (LL) & Revised Student Load/Liability (RL)
- Unit of Study Completions (CU)
- VET Commonwealth Assisted Students (VDU)
- VET Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)
- VET Course Completions (VCC)
- VET Enrolment Revisions (VER)
- VET Student Enrolment (VEN)
- VET Student Load/Liability (VLL) & Revised VET Student Load Liability (VRL)
- VET Student Revisions (VSR)
- VET Unit of Study Completions (VCU)
Details of all versions of this data element can be found on its supporting information page.